A lot of you have been asking for recipes of our festival food. On popular demand we decided to dedicate this Vana Grimoire to the delicious English Pie. At our events you can get the pies in various flavours. For this recipe we picked the classic Steak & Guinness.
Time: 2.5 - 3 hours
You need the following ingredients:
- 25 gr butter
- 600 gr beef stewing meat
- 2-3 red onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot
- 70 gr tomato paste
- 400 gram diced tomatoes
- 350 ml stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 330 ml Guinness beer
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 5 slices puff pastry
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 casserole / frying pan with lid
- Round Oven dish (approx. 28cm diameter)
How to make it
1. Place a frying pan/casserole on the stove and melt the butter. Add the beef and brown on all sides in approximately 5 minutes.
2. Chop the onions and cut the carrot.
3. Remove meat from pan.
4. Fry the onion, garlic and carrot for approximately 3 minutes and add the meat to the pan again.
5. Add tomato paste and fry it for 1 minute. Then add the diced tomatoes, stock and bay leaves. Pour the Guinness beer along the edge of the pan and bring to a boil.
6. Turn down the heat and cover it with a lid. Stew the meat for 2 hours. After 1.5 hours add diced potatoes, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Preheat oven to 200 Celsius. Roll out the puff pastry to a round piece up to 28 cm in diameter (in case you're using a rectangular oven dish, make sure the puff pastry has those measurements). Scoop the stewing meat into a round oven dish.
8. Brush the edge of the oven dish with a little bit of egg and put the puff pastry on top of the meat. Make sure the puff pastry connects well to the meat. Use your rolling pin to remove overhanging puff pastry. Use this remaining puff pastry to decorate the top: be creative!
9. Make a cross in the middle of the puff pastry lid to make sure steam can escape. Brush the puff pastry lid with egg.
10. Bake your English Pie in 25 - 30 minutes in the preheated oven. If the lid has turned golden brown, your English Pie is ready to enjoy!