In less than two weeks it's time for Castlefest celebrates Litha. This asks for a nice recipe. How about this lovely lavender honey cake? We simply love it! Lavender has a very special taste. It tastes floral, a bit sweet, but at the same time quite fresh. It is perfect for summer days!
In this recipe, the lavender taste comes from soaking the lavenderbuds in the cream. You can decide how intense you want the lavender taste to be by changing for how long the lavender buds will sit in the cream. The recipe asks for at least two hours, up to leaving the mixture in the fridge overnight. The longer you let it be, the stronger the taste.
You need the following ingredients:
- 1 tbsp dried lavender buds
- 60 ml cream
- 100 gr butter (at room temperature)
- 200 gr granulated sugar
- 3 tbs honey
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 400 gr flour
- 150 ml yogurt
- powdered sugar for decoration
- bundt cake pan (or normal cake pan)
- 3 mixing bowls
How to make the cake:
- Please mind! This first step needs to be taken at least 2 hours before the rest: Mix the lavender buds with the cream, stir, and put it in the fridge. Let it sit for at least 2 hours, or make it the night before for a stronger lavender flavour.
- Preheat the oven at 170*C
- Grease the bundt cake pan well, you don't want to miss any nooks and crannies.
- Take a mixing bowl and use the mixer to mix the butter, honey, and sugar until it's creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Take another mixing bowl and whisk the flour and baking powder.
- In a third bowl, you'll use a sieve to take the lavender buds from the cream. Mix the cream with the yogurt. Take the lavender to the side and chop it in smaller pieces.
- Time to combine the three bowls. Take the bowl with the butter mixture and add ⅓ of the flour mixture and half of the cream mixture. Mix until smooth. Repeat this step until everything is mixed into a batter in the same bowl.
- Add the chopped lavender and gently fold it into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 170*C for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Now the hard part: leave the cake for at least 15 minutes to let it cool before flipping it on a plate. Otherwise it won't come out of the bundt cake pan in one piece ;)
- Once the cake has cooled down, turn the cake out onto a plate, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.