According to Celtic tradition, Imbolc was celebrated as the midpoint between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It serves as a reminder that winter is nearing its end and spring is coming soon.
The last harvest festival, Samhain, seems ages away. The stock of fresh produce begins to thin, but luckily there still are plenty of grains and seeds. The recipe below is without dairy or eggs, making it a vegan cake.
You need the following ingredients:
- 260 gram all-purpose flour
- 160 gram sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 200 ml water
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- brownie tin (low baking pan) or cake pan
- mixing bowl
- baking paper
How to make the cake:
- Preheat the oven at 175*C
- Use the sieve and make sure the flour and baking powder have no clumps.
- Add all dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Line the inside of the baking pan with baking paper and pour the batter in.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 175*C for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.